Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Masked Marvel strikes

The morning after the New Richmond Long Range Planning Committee (LRPC) had its meeting on November 29th, the Masked Marvel, a.k.a NR Resident critiqued the meeting on his/her post. MM made this comment:
"The “facilitator” was in rare form last night as well. Scott Needham, former School Board member, threatened to go home and quit the group if members raised questions about the lack of diversity of opinion in the make up of the group and the legitimacy of its work. What an impressive display of leadership. But we probably see kids on the playground do the same thing by threaten to take their marbles home too."
I was the one raising the concern of an unknown agenda at the meeting after my radar had been increased in power by several sharp posters on this blog discussing groupthink. I listed several concerns about the possibility of the committee being driven by unknown members or outside persons. My concerns were: 1) the selection of the chairman by the school board prior to the first meeting, 2) meeting agendas generated by unknown persons, and 3) packets of information appearing prior to the meeting. Did I have any proof? No, but I thought it best to bring it up to counter any future charges of credibility and bias. I also said that had the committee choosen the chairman, I would have been the first to nominate Scott.
Scott Needham, in a slightly heated response to my concerns, said that if he finds a hidden agenda, he would quit. I agree 100 percent with him as I would too. I am sure he felt that, as chairman, his credibility by implication was being questioned. He also apologized later if his comments were perceived as heated. At no time did I take offense at his remarks. I certainly would not characterize his remarks as that of a school boy picking up his marbles and going home.
At no time have I felt I couldn't speak my mind. I have several agendas of my own; year-round school to raise building utilization to a more efficient 100 percent being one. Everyone has an agenda on this blog as well as the LRPC. At this time all ideas are on the table. No debate has been cut off, no one has been ridiculed and time is always available so everyone could express an opinion. Many times during the meeting, Scott asked if there should be further discussion. After the proverbial pregnant pause, he went on to the next topic.
I would suggest that the Masked Marvel come to the next LRPC meeting to be held in the NR high school media center, Wednesday, December 14th, at 7:00pm. Find out first hand--it's an open meeting.
P.S. I criticized the quality of the New Richmond city water going into the Middle school at the last meeting in response to complaints of rusty water. Mayor Schnitzler was two seats away.
Also published on the ontheborderline.net
051207

1 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger Andy Rand said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home